Article I: Name
- The name of this organization shall be UConn Ballroom Dance.
Article II: Organization
- This organization's primary purpose is to provide the opportunity to learn Ballroom Dancing by encouraging individual practice, the formation of partnerships, and mentoring of beginners by advanced team members.
- There shall be an UConn Ballroom Dance Team that consists of those members who wish to dance at a competitive level as representatives of UConn.
- There shall be a UConn Ballroom Dance Club that consists of those members who wish to dance at a social level
- This shall be a nonprofit organization. All services rendered by its members shall be done so voluntarily and without pay, although members will be reimbursed for the real expenditures they make in fulfillment of their duties. Solely the instructor and/or coach shall be paid for their services to the organization.
- There shall be a Board, comprised of an Executive Board and Ad-hoc Board, responsible for the functioning of the organization.
- The Executive Board consists of all voting officers who are responsible for all official actions taken by the Board.
- In the event of a break in this organization, the business account will pause for one year.
- In the event of the dissolution of this organization, all assets from its account shall be transferred to the following beneficiary: UConn Swing and Blues
Article III: Membership and Dues
- All persons who paid membership dues shall be a member of the UConn Ballroom Dance Club, hereto referred to as ‘The Club’.
- All persons who paid membership dues for the UConn Ballroom Dance Team shall be a member of the UConn Ballroom Dance Team, hereto referred to as ‘The Team’.
- Membership dues shall entitle the person to membership solely for the current semester.
- Any person regardless of student status shall be eligible for membership of this organization.
- Dues shall be collected by the Treasurer with the assistance of other members of the Executive Board and any other person appointed by the Treasurer.
- A complete list of all persons who have paid dues, with the appropriate contact information and the amount paid, must be kept up-to-date and accessible to the Executive Board at all times.
- A change in dues must be unanimously approved by the full Executive Board and explained to all members as soon as possible.
- Students of any institution (current full or part time) may be eligible for the student rate. All other persons must pay the non-student rate.
Article IV: Officers and Elections
- Each officer shall be an active and in good standing member of The Club and The Team.
- An active member shall be defined as any member of The Club or The Team that attends at least 50% of their respective ballroom meetings on per semester basis
- A good standing member shall be defined as any registered, dues paid member of The Club or The Team that does not have any unsolved formal complaint against them
- Any member who does not meet the above criteria and wishes to be a board member may present their case to the current executive board and faculty advisor for approval
- The Executive Board officers of this organization shall always include the President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Other Executive Board positions may be created or eliminated as deemed unanimously necessary by the Executive Board.
- Ad Hoc Board positions may be created or eliminated as deemed unanimously necessary by the Executive Board.
- All responsibilities for The Board will be outlined in the bylaws.
- Voting rights can be given to non-voting board members as deemed unanimously necessary by the Executive Board via voice or written vote.
- Officers shall be elected the last week of the month of February by The Team via instant run off voting. If there is only one (1) nominee for any office position then that office may be elected by a written yes/no closed ballot vote determined by straight majority.
- All officers excluding the Treasurer shall assume their official duties on the last meeting of the spring semester directly following elections and shall serve for aone year term until May of the following year. The Treasurer shall assume their duties on July 1st and serve until June 30th of the following year.
- If an officer is unable to fulfill duties as judged by the Executive Board, a formal remediation process shall be enacted with the assistance of the faculty advisor.
Article V: Vacancies of Office
- A vacancy occurring in any office shall be filled for the unexpired term by a person elected by a majority vote of The Team, notice of said election haven been given.
Article VI: Ammendments
- Amendments or changes to this constitution must be:
- Unanimously approved by the full Executive Board
- Voted upon by the membership of the Team after one week's notice (approval by 2/3 of the active and good standing present members is necessary)
- Filed with the UConn Office of Coordinator of Student Activities.
Article VII: Enabling Clause
- This Constitution and Bylaws shall go into effect on May 8, 2017 upon approval of all current members of UConn Ballroom Dance. This Constitution and Bylaws shall replace and render null all previous constitutions, bylaws, procedures, practices, and precedents for this organization.