Rules and Regulations
- Newcomer: Dancers must not have started dancing prior to the Fall 2017 school semester (defined as August 1, 2017 for non-collegiate competitors).
- Bronze: Dancers must not have started dancing prior to the Fall 2016 school semester (defined as August 1, 2016 for non-collegiate competitors).
- Silver, Gold, Pre-Champ, and Champ: Eligibility is determined by the competitor's YCN points. There are no time restrictions for these levels.
- Mixed-proficiency couples must dance at the level of the higher competitor (John is bronze, Jane is only eligible to dance silver and up - they must compete silver).
- A dancer may not dance the same dance in multiple levels (no double registration).
- A dancer may dance up one level if a dance is not offered in their level. If the dance is a multi-dance event in the higher level, all dances in that event must be competed at the higher level.
- A dancer may dance different styles in different levels, with the following restrictions:
- If the dancer is dancing any styles below the silver level, s/he may only span two levels (Newcomer and bronze is allowed, bronze and silver is allowed, newcomer and silver is not).
Syllabus and Costume Rules
- Competitors in the syllabus levels (newcomer, bronze, silver, and gold) are restricted to the ISTD syllabus for the International styles and the NDCA syllabus in the American styles. Syllabi are restricted to the level and dance in which they are for (silver waltz steps are not allowed in a bronze waltz heat).
- Newcomers are restricted to the pre-bronze syllabus
- Competitors in the open levels are not restricted to a syllabus. Lifts are not allowed.
- Costumes are allowed in all levels except Newcomer.
- Heel taps or guards are required for all high-heeled shoes.
- Once registered, couples may change their Smooth and/or Standard registrations until 7:45am on the day of the competition; Rhythm and Latin events may be changed until 1:00pm.
- All competitors must have paid their registration fees prior to competing. Unpaid competitors will not be allowed to compete unless there are extenuating circumstances and prior arrangements have been made with the UConn Ballroom Dance Team.
- If we are notifed by the early registration deadline: 100% refund
- At the door: 50% refund
- No show: 0% refund